For regular tips, follow us on Twitter @FiveStarMovers or like us on Facebook
Planning Your Move
- Choose your moving day carefully and avoid moving around peak periods, if possible. The first two days and the last two days of the month are the crunch periods when everyone wants to move.
- If you are in a condo or apartment building, please ensure that you have booked a service elevator in advance.
- Before you start packing, you should make sure you have all the necessary supplies – different sizes of boxes, packing tape, wardrobe boxes, wrapping paper, tissue paper, zip lock bags, markers, and scissors.
- Make sure to begin packing well ahead of the move.
- Try to concentrate on one room at a time and label each box by room and item.
- Wrap all of your fragile items in bubble wrap or tissue paper, clearly marking the boxes that contain these items.
- Don’t tape wooden drawers closed, as this may damage the finish of your furniture.
- Make sure boxes are not too heavy.
- Pack heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top.
- When furniture is too bulky or heavy to move in one piece, you will need to disassemble it and put all the bolts and nuts in a plastic bag that can then be attached to the furniture.
- Carpets and rugs should be rolled up and secured with tape.
- Important documents, jewelry, money, artwork, and home videos should be packed separately and carried by you.
- When disassembling your beds, use tape to bind the frames together.
Before Your Moving Day
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer.
- We recommend servicing of your washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, and stove by a licensed professional before they are moved.
- Fasten and tape lids to liquids, seal in a plastic bag, and place upright in a carton.
- Don’t forget to dispose of gasoline and oil from lawnmowers and other machinery.
- Don’t pack flammable items.