For regular tips, follow us on Instagram and Twitter @FiveStarMovers or like us on Facebook
Download one of our free, quick and simple moving checklists to help with your upcoming move.
- Residential Moving Checklist – Download Now
- Office Moving Checklist – Download Now
- Long Distance Moving Checklist – Download Now
Planning Your Move
- Choose your moving day carefully and avoid moving around peak periods, if possible. The first two days and the last two days of the month are the crunch periods when everyone wants to move, and dates can be harder to book.
- If you are in a condo or apartment building, please ensure that you have booked a service elevator in advance.
- Before you start packing, you should make sure you have all the necessary supplies – different sizes of boxes, packing tape, wardrobe boxes, wrapping paper, tissue paper, Ziploc bags, markers, and scissors.
- Start packing well ahead of the move and resist the urge to procrastinate.
- Concentrate on one room at a time and label each box by room or item type.
- Wrap your fragile items in bubble wrap or tissue paper, clearly marking the boxes that contain these items.
- Don’t tape wooden drawers closed, as this may damage the finish of your furniture.
- Make sure boxes are full, but not too heavy (use smaller boxes for heavy books, and large boxes for lighter items that need more room, including wine glasses or linens).
- Pack heavier items in the bottom of the box, and lighter items on top.
- When furniture is too bulky or heavy to move in one piece, you will need to disassemble it and put all the bolts and nuts in a plastic bag that can then be labeled clearly and attached to the item.
- Carpets and rugs should be rolled up and secured with tape.
- Important documents, jewelry, money, artwork, and home videos should be packed separately and carried by you, whenever possible.
- When disassembling your beds, use tape to bind the frames together.
Before Moving Day
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer.
- We recommend servicing of your washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, and stove by a licensed professional before and/or after moving day.
- Fasten and tape lids to liquids, seal in a plastic bag and place upright in a carton.
- Don’t forget to dispose of gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other machinery.
- Don’t pack flammable items.