Moving your house or office from one place to another is certainly a very important process. You need to plan your move well in advance to ensure there is no mismanagement during the process. Although you may have left the moving process to a moving company, there are still some essential items you will want to ensure are properly handled between locations.
Of course, preventing damage during the course of a move is always important. This is especially true with regard to electronic items as they are very costly, sensitive, and risk damaging easily if they fall or come in direct contact with any other objects during your move.
The task of packing and unpacking electronic items is especially crucial. Packing needs to be carried out with utmost care to ensure that items do not get damaged in any way. Also, after completing the packing task, you or your movers should handle them properly and with extreme care to ensure they remain safe during the moving process. To help you, we have provided some tips for the safe handling of electronics during a move:
- Perform a backup of all your computer files and folders, storing them on a safe device before a move, like an external hard drive or a cloud-based application. You will always want to ensure that important electronic documents remain available to you – and this is the best way to do so, even in the case of physical damage to a laptop or computer on moving day.
- Arrange and detangle all your cords and remotes in an organized way, labeling them before you pack, so that you will know which cord belongs to which electronic device once you’re moved in. Instead of placing all cords in one main box, try storing them with the electronic item – in the same box, if possible, or attach cords with tape to the back of your items.
- Electronic items are sensitive to low and high temperatures. They may get stiff in low temperatures or melt in high heat, especially if they are made with a lighter plastic or other material. If you are moving to a storage unit, ensure you choose a climate-controlled facility, so that your items remain damage-free. You may also want to move them ahead of time, so that your movers can focus on the larger items. If you do hire movers to move your electronics, ensure they have the proper equipment and tools to do so, and request that the items are put into the truck last, so that they aren’t sitting in extreme heat.
- Before moving electronics to a new place, take measurements in order to ensure that they are proper size and will easily fit where you want them in your new home. Plan out your TV room by using painter’s tape to measure the size and location on your new TV wall. Get creative with it!
- Packing electronic items is a crucial component of moving them. Gather enough packing material in various sizes and shapes to pack your electronic items securely. If you want to retain the unique identity of electronic goods even after they are packed, consider packing them in their original boxes (if you’ve kept them) so that they can be easily identified in your new home. *Tip: Custom boxes can also be purchased for your flatscreen TV, and a variety of other electronics. Ask your professional moving company for more information.
- If you do not have packing experience, or do not know how to transfer a certain item, read the user manual to get product-specific instructions, or try searching on Google or YouTube for moving tips in that area. You can also consult with professional house movers or office movers who can give you useful suggestions to pack and unpack your electronic items.
- Electronic items are very sensitive and fragile and may break easily if they are made of glass. So, make sure that you use strong packing material in enough quantities to pack each item separately. Do not use newspaper for packing these items – it is not solid enough to provide proper support for these types of items. Many movers can provide moving blankets (ours are provided, free of charge!) and can assist with taking items down and properly transporting them for you.
- If you need to disassemble an item in order to move it, take photographs of the items before they are taken apart, so that it will be easier for you to assemble it without any hassle or confusion once you unpack in your new home or office.
- It is very important that you check whether the box for each packed item is properly closed and sealed, to ensure nothing falls out or goes missing on moving day. We recommend checking any boxes you have packed, and ensuring the professional movers you hire do the same, to ensure a safe transfer of electronic items and their accessories.
- Hiring professional house movers or office movers for packing and unpacking of all your items – especially electronics – is usually a better idea than doing it yourself. Professional movers will provide you with all the necessary help to carry out the moving process and keep the process efficient and stress-free on moving day.
You are bound to face a number of questions and challenges during your plans to move your home or office. You can make the whole process and moving day even simpler by hiring a professional moving company to get you through your move in a safe and efficient way. Of course, if you are looking for the best movers in the GTA, consider hiring Five Star Movers today. Family owned and operated, we are a professional moving company and will meet your residential moving needs in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, and surrounding areas. We are honest, affordable, and reliable. Our costs and rates are outlined in your free quote (no hidden fees!) and guaranteed at the time of booking. Contact us today to get started or get your free quote now.